The Clever Eggplant is an informal bar at StartX, which is Stanford's startup incubator. The bar is hosted by StartX-affiliate Weeby.co and staffed by a bartender, David, Weeby's office manager, Rachel. By pulling a pair of tall tables and a few stools over next to a sink, the bar appears every two weeks to create a fun, relaxed, and playful atmosphere for its patrons. Regardless of if they want to relax with a sparkling fruity drink, or savor a stiff spirit-forward cocktail, or simply refresh themselves with a non-alcoholic libation before a long drive home, we can accommodate the diverse interests of our patrons.
In May 2014, David, a newly employed software developer, got pulled into one of Weeby's weekly game nights at StartX. There, he met Rachel, who pointed out the large quantities of hard liquor that they had on hand. David had been wanting to learn to mix drinks, and so they struck a mutually beneficial arrangement. Together, they started an informal bar every other game night, serving cocktails free of charge. Rachel procured the ingredients for the bar and printed out each night's menu. David selected each night's drinks and served them to generous and enthusiastic patrons. On the night of August 14, 2014, the unrefined but scrappy bar opened for the first time.
The first few sessions at the bar were challenging. Unseasoned, David would forget all sorts of equipment each week: his measurement jigger, or his mixing tins, or (most disastrously) his citrus juicer. His inexperience meant that even when fully equipped, he would often be hard pressed to serve the deluge of eager patrons who would swarm the bar. But session after session, the drinks came out a little faster, developed more sophistication, and the bar developed an enjoyable atmosphere that made it the place to be.
Though it still has a long way to go, The Clever Eggplant has significantly matured since its opening night. It has offered everything from solid classic cocktails to idiosyncratic original drinks to fantastical layered shooters like the Alien Brain Hemorrhage, and once even pearl milk tea cocktails. If you've been a patron of the bar, then we'd like to thank you for showing up and making the bar the success that it is. If you've never come by, then please drop by the next time we're open, take a seat, check out our menu, order a cocktail, and stay a moment at our wonderful bar.
Why are we The Clever Eggplant?
The bar was nameless for its first six months of operation. Our name reflects our origins as a supporting fixture of StartX's board game nights. One night, a few of us were playing Apples to Apples. David played the green card "Clever", prompting the other players to choose cards that they thought were evocative of cleverness. One of his friends had no good answers and played "Eggplant" in response to get rid of an otherwise useless card. The ludicrous combination of those cards amused David so much that he made it the name of the bar.
Does David work for StartX?
No, and neither does Rachel, for that matter. Rachel's company, Weeby, graduated from StartX's startup incubation program, which is how she is affiliated with them. Likewise, David has a friend whose company also graduated from StartX, which is how David was introduced to game nights. Neither David nor his company have any affiliation with StartX. He simply mixes there on their good graces.
How did David start bartending?
His mixing began when he received a mixology book for his birthday. He likes to say that reading the book and watching Youtube videos accounts for 10% of his skill and knowledge, while the other 90% comes from patrons at the bar bombarding him with drink requests until he could handle them all.